We all know that Apple released the device we have all been waiting for, the iPhone 5, on the 12th of September, this year. Not only that, the new firmware by the name iOS 6 was also released. Though the new iOS doesn’t have a lot of changes, it still shows that Apple is doing what it can in order to take care of the issues present in the previous versions. It seems that it’s trying to do this in order to prevent the new firmware from being jailbroken. There might be a question running up your mind whether to jailbreak or not ! You better have a look at the link before to help your decide.
Developers have already been invited by the company to update their devices to the latest version of the iOS. The iOS 6 GM build is currently available for download. However, what about the users who want their iDevices to remain jailbroken?
The untethered jailbreak that currently available is for the iOS 5.1.1. The iOS 6 GM build can also be jailbroken tethered. We say thanks to MuscleNerd (iPhone Dev Team) for updating the Redsn0w 0.9.13. This update means that the iPhone 4, 3GS and the iPod touch 4G can now be tethered jailbroken on the new iOS 6 GM build by the fruit company.
Before you proceed with the process, keep in mind that it’s a tethered jailbreak. Which means that you will need to have root access and through the SSH, you will be able to install the custom packages you prefer. There won’t be any Cydia because it will be there once an untethered jailbreak for the iOS 6 comes out.
Procedure to Keep Tethered Jailbreak in iOS6:
Below you will get to read the instructions through which you can apply the tethered jailbreak on the iOS 6.
- The first thing which you will have to do is download the iOS 6 GM build (https://developer.apple.com/). Then you are to restore the iPhone to the new firmware through the iTunes 11.
- Now, you have to download the latest version of Redsn0w (0.9.13dev4). You can get it from these links;
For Mac (Download)
For Windows (Download)
- Simply open the latest version of Redsn0w. You will get to see the main interface. Choose ‘Extras’ and then ‘Select IPSW’. Point it to the iOS 6 GM.
- Go to the main screen and select the ‘Jailbreak’ option and the process will start. You will get to see instructions for putting your device into the DFU mode.
- You need to carefully follow these instructions. It might take you a few tries to get it right. Once, the device is in DFU mode, the jailbreak process will start.
- When the process completes, the device will reboot, and you will get to experience a tethered jailbreak.
As mentioned above, this is a tethered jailbreak, and this means that whenever the device restarts, you will have to enter the tethered the boot mode through the Redsn0w jailbreak tool. In order to do this, you simply have to launch the tool and then tap ‘Extras’ button present on the screen and then select the ‘Just Boot’ option. The instructions which you will get to see will guide you through the whole process.